Autumn Chicken and Corn slow cooker dinner
This super easy, very tasty and super economical meal is a winner for the whole family. Chicken and corn are both on special this week and you’ll be able to feed the family for around $2.50 a serve with this recipe.
Autumn chicken and corn slow cooker dinner
• 4 chicken thighs or breast
• 1 teaspoon salt,
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper,
• 2 tablespoons (15 ml) olive oil
• 1 cup (120 g) red onion, diced
• 1 ½ cups (230 g) carrots, 2cm pieces
• 500g red potatoes, cut in 3cm pieces – skin on
• 1 cob corn, cut into 4 pieces
• 2 large cloves local garlic, roughly chopped
• 300 unsalted chicken stock
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus 4 wedges for serving
• 4 sprigs thyme
• 2 sprigs rosemary
• Season both sides of the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
• Add onion, carrot, potatoes, corn, and garlic to slow cooker.
• Add chicken pieces, thyme and rosemary to slow cooker.
• In a medium-sized bowl whisk together 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, chicken stock, flour, and lemon juice, add to slow cooker poring over the top of all ingredients.
• Cover and cook 2 to 4 hours on high setting or 4 to 6 hours on low setting, until the chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.
• Transfer chicken and vegetables to serving plates.
• Pour cooking liquid through a strainer if desired, whisk to combine and season as desired.
• Serve this sauce and lemon wedges with the chicken dinner.
Add more corn and potatoes if desired to “stretch” the value.