Grandma’s Fresh Tomato Sauce
Passed down through generations, it’s the simplicity and fresh ingredients that make this sauce so delicious.
Prep time: 30 – 45 mins
- 1 onion
- 1kg tomatoes, or whatever you have to use up
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 clove of garlic (optional)
- Chilli to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
- Wash the tomatoes and make a cross on the bottom of each with a knife.
- Boil some water and pour over the tomatoes and sit for 2 minutes. Remove them and you will see that the skin will be easy to peel, starting from the cross you previously cut.
- Cut the tomatoes into four parts and remove the seeds. Now cut them again into smaller pieces.
- Chop the onion and put in a pan (garlic is optional) with the olive oil and slowly brown it.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper (chilli if you like) and a pinch of sugar to regulate acidity.
- Cook them very slowly until the tomatoes melt and become a sauce (20-30) minutes.
- If you don’t use the sauce immediately, put it in a glass jar, or when it is cold in a plastic Tupperware. Close the lid tightly and place it in the fridge. It is perfect for 3 or 4 days.